The Saegertown Area Library’s history with the community is one of love and support!
The very first library was created around 1906 by the Saegertown Women’s Improvement Club. Minnie Hunter was not only the 1st librarian, but opened up a room in her home as the library. The Saegertown Women’s Improvement Club continued to organize fundraisers to purchase books for many years. A few years after Minnie Hunter passed away, the donated books eventually went to the high school in the late 1940’s/early 1950’s.
Saegertown did not have a community library for approximately the next 30 + years.
In the late 70’s, a gathering of community members got together with the goal of creating a new community library. Through the hard work of the members, fundraisers, community donations and businesses, the new Saegertown Area Library was opened in August 1984. It was located in what is now known as the Saegertown Heritage building.
The new library location soon ran out of space to properly serve the community! In 1998, another major fundraising campaign was organized to renovate the old fire hall across the street for the future site of the library. Saegertown Area Library is now located at 325 Broad Street.
Our library loves our patrons, our volunteers, and our community!